[Python-Dev] Include ctypes into core Python?

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Tue Jan 10 22:14:13 CET 2006

On 1/10/06, Thomas Heller <theller at python.net> wrote:
> I would like to suggest to include ctypes into core Python, starting
> with the 2.5 release.

On the one hand I agree that this is a useful module, popular, mature etc.

On the other hand it breaks one of the most fundamental Python
guidelines: if you get a core dump (segfault etc.) it's a bug in
Python or in a 3rd party extension, not in *your* Python code. An
exception would have to be made for any code that uses ctypes, as it
is usually trivial to cause core dumps with ctypes (I'd venture it's
hard to avoid them ;-).

I don't expect this to count against including ctypes; but I do want
it to be dealt with somehow!