[Python-Dev] / as path join operator

Thomas Wouters thomas at xs4all.net
Sat Jan 28 00:34:03 CET 2006

On Fri, Jan 27, 2006 at 06:19:52PM -0500, Jason Orendorff wrote:

> To say "paths aren't strings" is all very well, and in a very abstract
> sense I almost agree--but you have to admit it sort of flies in the face
> of, you know, reality.  Filesystem paths are in fact strings on all
> operating systems I'm aware of.  And it's no accident or performance
> optimization.  It's good design.

The question isn't whether Path objects should *act* like strings. I haven't
seen anyone argue that they shouldn't, except for a few specific aspects,
like iteration, and those are argued on both sides of the subclassing camp.
The question is whether they should be actual subclasses of the Python
string type. As for what platforms do, if we want to stick to the platform
handling of paths, we change nothing. That's apparently not what people
want ;)

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at xs4all.net>