[Python-Dev] Updating packages from external ?

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Tue Jun 13 21:10:57 CEST 2006

Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>
>> Here's the command I used:
>>
>> svn copy svn+pythonssh://pythondev@svn.python.org/external/pybench-2.0  \
>>          svn+pythonssh://pythondev@svn.python.org/python/trunk/Tools/pybench
>>
>> Am I missing some final slash in the copy command or is there
>> a different procedure which should be followed for these upgrades,
>> such as e.g. remove the package directory first, then copy over
>> the new version ?
>
> that's one way to do it.
>
> another way is to use the svn_load_dirs.pl script described here:
>
>      http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.0/ch07s04.html

Thanks.

I tried that and also the approach to merge the differences
by hand, but both result in lost version history on the files
in the trunk.

In the end, I simply copied over the distribution onto the
trunk version and did the necessary svn add/remove by
hand. As a result, there's no history leading back to the
external/pybench-2.0/ tree (though I've added a checkin
comment), but it is possible to see and follow the changes
I made to the trunk version.

BTW, just saw the discussion burst about externally managed
packages:

The way I see things with pybench is that development
can and should happen in the trunk, but I reserve the freedom
to use that version as basis for new external releases
which I then merge back into the trunk.

This does sometimes mean incompatible changes or even
removal of things others have added, but then if it
wouldn't the package wouldn't be /externally/
managed :-)

That said, being the maintainer of such a package
becomes harder not easier by contributing it to the
Python core.

Contributors need to be aware of this, but Python core
developers should as well. It's all about working
together rather than fighting each other.

Cheers,
--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jun 13 2006)