[Python-Dev] PEP 338 vs PEP 328 - a limitation of the -m switch

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 06:05:33 CEST 2006

Guido van Rossum wrote:
>> If it's not the package directory, perhaps it could be a copy of whatever
>> sys.path entry the package was found under - that wouldn't do anything but
>> make "nearby" imports faster.
>
> But it could theoretically affect search order for other modules. I
> still see nothing wrong with "". After all that's also the default if
> you run a script using python <path/to/file.py .

No problem - inserting '' is what the switch does currently. A security
conscious script should really be clobbering sys.path anyway so that it only
contains the locations the script needs.

As for the other part (requiring absolute imports), I can put a footnote in
the tutorial somewhere.

If anyone complains bitterly about the limitation, there's always 2.6 :)

Cheers,
Nick.