[Python-Dev] Numerical robustness, IEEE etc.

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Fri Jun 23 02:00:03 CEST 2006

On Thu, Jun 22, 2006, Nick Maclaren wrote:

> Sigh.  What I am trying to get is floating-point support of the form
> that, when a programmer makes a numerical error (see above), he gets
> EITHER an exception value returned OR an exception raised.

Then you need to write up a detailed design document FOR PYTHON that
specifies how a smart person like Michael Hudson would go about
implementing what you want.  Keep in mind that Python does *not*
currently require C99 (and it's not clear when it will) and that Python
runs on multiple hardware platforms and operating systems, so your scheme
needs to be either independent of hardware/OS or you need to clearly
specify how your scheme can EASILY be made to work on any system.

You can't expect us to do your legwork for you, and you can't expect
that Tim Peters is the only person on the dev team who understands what
you're getting at.

Incidentally, your posts will go directly to python-dev without
moderation if you subscribe to the list, which is a Good Idea if you want
to participate in discussion.

"I saw `cout' being shifted "Hello world" times to the left and stopped
right there."  --Steve Gonedes