[Python-Dev] ImportWarning flood

Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve rwgk at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 27 01:23:38 CEST 2006

--- "Delaney, Timothy (Tim)" <tdelaney at avaya.com> wrote:

> Michael Hudson wrote:
>
> > Benji York <benji at benjiyork.com> writes:

> >> +1
> >
> > I'm not sure what this would achieve -- people who don't know enough
> > about Python to add __init__.py files aren't going to know enough to
> > make suppressed-by-default warnings not suppressed.
>
> The change was prompted by developers (specifically, Google developers).
> Developers should be able to put -Wd in their automated build scripts.
>
> > The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of saying
> > something when an import fails only because of a missing __init__.py
> > file.  I guess I should try to implement it...
>
> This is by far and away my preference as well (stating which directories
> may have been importable if they had __init__.py in the exception) but
> it was shot down in the original discussion.

I guess it is probably quite tricky to implement. Note the list of files with
the "No module named" message I posted earlier. Somehow you'd have to keep
track of all potential directories in all these different contexts.

I think a combination of pointing to the documentation and mentioning -Wd would
cover all situations. Most people just need a reminder. That's easy to achieve
with a new ImportErrorNoModule(name) exception.