[Python-Dev] msvccompiler.py: some remarks

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Fri Jun 30 11:58:06 CEST 2006

On 6/30/06, Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <ashemedai at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Forget about Visual Studio 8 and .NET 2.0. It won't help here.
>
> I only have .NET 1.1 and 2.0 and Visual Studio 2005 (8) installed. Why
> should I forget about it? Is Python compiled with much older compilers
> and thus unable to work together in a nice way or?

The standard Python binary uses the MSVC 7.1 CRT (msvcr71.dll). Visual
Studio 2005 will not compile code which uses that CRT, so Python
extensions built with that compiler are not compatible with Python
built to use msvcr71.dll.

The only compilers supported for building extensions compatible with
the standard Python binary are gcc (mingw) and VS 2003 (MSVC 7.1)
(including the free MS Toolkit compiler 2003 if you have it, but sadly
MS have withdrawn it from distribution) - precisely because they have
options to link with msvcr71.dll.

Paul.