[Python-Dev] msvccompiler.py: some remarks

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Jun 30 17:52:37 CEST 2006

Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven wrote:
> On 6/29/06, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
>> We should remove/change this comment. It is utterly misleading.
>
> To a warning/error stating that you miss a compiler?

Correct: that you miss VS 2003, or should request mingw.

>> Forget about Visual Studio 8 and .NET 2.0. It won't help here.
>
> I only have .NET 1.1 and 2.0 and Visual Studio 2005 (8) installed. Why
> should I forget about it? Is Python compiled with much older compilers
> and thus unable to work together in a nice way or?

"Much" is a relative thing, but yes. Python 2.3 and before is compiled
with VC6, Python 2.4 and 2.5 are compiled with VS 2003. You cannot
compile extensions with a different compiler version because the
CRT versions will clash (msvcrt4 vs. msvcr71 vs. msvcr8)

Google for details, this has been discussed both technically and
politically many times before.

Regards,
Martin