[Python-Dev] conditional expressions - add parens?

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Thu Mar 9 09:13:32 CET 2006

Morel Xavier wrote:
> Steve Holden wrote:
>
>>Contrast with the bleeding obvious:
>>
>>     level = 0
>>     if "absolute_import" in self.futures:
>>         level = -1
>>
>>regards
>>  Steve
>
>  >
> The issue that spawned the necessity of a ternary operator in the first
> place was that this syntax is not usable at all in quite a few
> situations like, say, list comprehensions...

And of course the example I criticized was a list comprehension (not).

  The fact that ternary operators improve some features isn't an excuse
for using them when they actually decrease readability.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119
Holden Web LLC/Ltd                 www.holdenweb.com