[Python-Dev] About "Coverity Study Ranks LAMP Code Quality"

Jeff Epler jepler at unpythonic.net
Tue Mar 14 00:05:07 CET 2006

On Mon, Mar 13, 2006 at 03:05:55PM +0000, fermigier wrote:
> Because according to
> http://www.washingtontechnology.com/news/1_1/daily_news/28134-1.html :
>
> "The maintainers of the source codes can register with Coverity to see
> the full results. (End users cannot see the bug lists themselves; they
> will be able to see how buggy a particular program may be.)"

This distinction tweaks me a bit.  One strength of Open Source software
is that any "end user" may choose to be a developer.  But it sounds like
I have little chance of seeing Coverity's scan results on Open Source
software, because I'm not a "maintainer" of any project they've chosen
to scan.  This despite the fact that over the years I've made
(admittedly minor) contributions to a handful of the projects on their
list, and might choose to fix some of the scan-discovered defects if
only I could know what they were.

Jeff