[Python-Dev] pysqlite for 2.5?

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Wed Mar 29 01:24:49 CEST 2006

At 04:22 PM 3/28/2006 -0500, Jean-Paul Calderone wrote:
>On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 15:48:36 -0500, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
> >On Wed, 2006-03-29 at 01:51 +1100, Anthony Baxter wrote:
> >> I'm happy to work with Gerhard to make this happen. Does it need a
> >> PEP? I'd say "no",
> >
> >Agreed.  pysqlite is solid and widely accepted, and AFAIK has no
> >competition.
>
>FWIW: http://www.rogerbinns.com/apsw.html

That implementation doesn't support the DBAPI, although it sounds as though
the differences are mostly shallow and easy to add implementations
for.  (e.g., implementing the fetch* methods, a description property, etc.).

More likely to be an issue is that the author hasn't volunteered to
contribute/support it.

On the plus side, it sounds like ASPW is a more general wrapping of SQLite,
which seems to me to lean in its favor for the stdlib, if it can also be
brought into DBAPI compliance.