[Python-Dev] _bsddb.c ownership

Gregory P. Smith greg at electricrain.com
Thu Mar 30 08:18:01 CEST 2006

On Wed, Mar 08, 2006 at 03:03:48AM +0100, Thomas Wouters wrote:
> On 3/7/06, "Martin v. L??wis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
> >
> > Thomas Wouters wrote:
> > > Who 'owns' Modules/_bsddb.c, if anyone?
> >
> > It's a fork of pybsddb, originally contributed by Gregory Smith (*).
> > For all practical purposes, he also "owns" it, but hasn't objected
> > to others making changes in the past.
> >
> > At the time it was imported, I recall the plan was to out-phase
> > pybsddb, and only keep the version in Python. It appears that things
> > have developed differently.
>

> Alright. It seems someone <wink> already made  backward-incompatible changes
> to _bsddb.c (adding Py_ssize_t use), and various other things were fixed,
> too, so I just went ahead and checked in a bunch of small fixes. I'm not
> done yet, though. After I am done (which might be a while still, but
> hopefully before alpha1), I'll fix backward compatibility and send in a
> patch to the pybsddb project :)

Yeah I "own" it for whatever thats worth.

The pybsddb project only continues to exist as a skeleton to provide a
more up to date BerkeleyDB module for:

  (a) use with a new BerkeleyDB version
  (b) use with older versions of python

The pybsddb project does not have its own copy of the code, it just
pulls Modules/_bsddb.c and the Lib/bsddb/ directly from the python
repository using a script.

Its appreciated if people keep Modules/_bsddb.c and Lib/bsddb/
backwards compatible with the few revs of python.  Otherwise I end up
finding out and fixing it myself with ifdefs on the rare occasions
when I attempt to make another pybsddb module release and find it
doesn't work with an old version. ;)

-greg