[Python-Dev] Alternative path suggestion

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sat May 6 09:57:23 CEST 2006

Mike Orr wrote:
> There's something that bothers me about putting the path in an
> attribute rather than subclassing tuple.
[...]
> How do you do slicing and joining?  If Path subclasses object, it
> could be done there like in the first example.  But if Path subclasses
> string, that API is taken:

I think Path should neither subclass string nor tuple. It might behave
like a string or a tuple, but it shouldn't subclass, as that
unnecessarily constraints the implementation strategy.

In particular, it shouldn't subclass str, as you then could not
represent Unicode file names in a reasonable way anymore.

Regards,
Martin