[Python-Dev] [Python-3000] stdlib reorganization

Talin talin at acm.org
Wed May 31 08:46:06 CEST 2006

A.M. Kuchling wrote:
> On Tue, May 30, 2006 at 03:36:02PM -0600, Steven Bethard wrote:
>
>>That sounds about reasonable.  One possible grouping:
>

> Note that 2.5's library reference has a different chapter organization
> from 2.4's.  See <http://docs.python.org/dev/lib/lib.html>.

I like it. Its a much cleaner organization than the 2.4 libs. I would
like to see it used as a starting point for a reorg of the standard lib
namespace.

One question that is raised is whether the categories should map
directly to package names in all cases. For example, I can envision a
desire that 'sys' would stay a top-level name, rather than 'rt.sys'.
Certain modules are so fundamental that they deserve IMHO to live in the
root namespace.

-- Talin