[Python-Dev] 2.3.6 for the unicode buffer overrun

Gregory P. Smith greg at electricrain.com
Thu Oct 12 23:03:10 CEST 2006

On Fri, Oct 13, 2006 at 06:43:40AM +1000, Anthony Baxter wrote:
> On Friday 13 October 2006 06:25, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> > On Oct 12, 2006, at 3:27 PM, Anthony Baxter wrote:
> > > Mostly it is easy for me, with the one huge caveat. As far as I
> > > know, the Mac
> > > build is a single command to run for Ronald, and the Doc build
> > > similarly for
> > > Fred. I don't know what Martin has to do for the Windows build.
> >
> > Why can't we get buildbot to do most or all of this?  At work, we
> > have buildbot slaves that post installers to a share after successful
> > checkout, build, and test on all our supported platforms.
>
> Speaking for myself, I'd rather do it by hand, if it's not a lot of work
> (which it isn't) - I don't like the idea of "official" releases just being
> an automated thing.

IMHO thats a backwards view; I'm with Barry.  Requiring human
intervention to do anything other than press the big green "go" button
to launch the "official" release build process is an opportunity for
human error.  the same goes for testing the built release installers
and tarballs.

three macs with some virtual machines could take care of this (damn
apple for not allowing their stupid OS to be virtualized).  that said,
i'm not volunteering to setup an automated system for this but i've
got good ideas how to do it if i ever find time or someone wants to
chat offline. :(

as for buildbot, i haven't looked at its design but from the chatter
i've seen i was under the impression that it operates on a continually
updated sandbox rather than a 100% fresh checkout for each build?  if
thats true (is it?) i'd prefer to see a build system setup to do a
fresh checkout+build of everything (including externals) in a new
directory for each build in use.  thats what we do at work.

none of the above even considers the web site updating problem..

greg