[Python-Dev] 2.3.6 for the unicode buffer overrun

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Fri Oct 13 12:35:46 CEST 2006

On 10/13/06, Anthony Baxter <anthony at interlink.com.au> wrote:
> On Friday 13 October 2006 16:59, Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> > yeah, but *you* are doing it.  if the server did that, Martin and
> > other trusted contributors could upload the files as soon as they're
> > available, instead of first transferring them to you, and then waiting
> > for you to find yet another precious time slot to spend on this release.
>
> Sure - I get that. There's a couple of reasons for me doing it. First is gpg
> signing the release files, which has to happen on my local machine. There's
> also the variation in who actually builds the releases; at least one of the
> Mac builds was done by Bob I. But there could be ways around this. I don't
> want to have to ensure every builder has scp, and I'd also prefer for it to
> all "go live" at once. A while back, the Mac installer would follow up "some
> time" after the Windows and source builds. Every release, I'd get emails
> saying "where's the mac build?!"

With most consumer connections it's a lot faster to download than to
upload. Perhaps it would save you a few minutes if the contributors
uploaded directly to the destination (or to some other fast server)
and you could download and sign it, rather than having to scp it back
up somewhere from your home connection.

To be fair, (thanks to Ronald) the Mac build is entirely automated by
a script with the caveat that you should be a little careful about
what your environment looks like (e.g. don't install fink or macports,
or to move them out of the way when building). It downloads all of the
third party dependencies, builds them with some special flags to make
it universal, builds Python, and then wraps it up in an installer
package.

Given any Mac OS X 10.4 machine, the builds could happen
automatically. Apple could probably provide one if someone asked. They
did it for Twisted. Or maybe the Twisted folks could appropriate part
of that machine's time to also build Python.

-bob