[Python-Dev] Unicode Imports

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Fri Sep 8 10:24:03 CEST 2006

Anthony Baxter wrote:
> On Friday 08 September 2006 02:56, Kristján V. Jónsson wrote:
>
>>Hello All.
>>I just added patch 1552880 to sourceforge.  It is a patch for 2.6 (and 2.5)
>>which allows unicode paths in sys.path and uses the unicode file api on
>>windows. This is tried and tested on 2.5, and backported to 2.3 and is
>>currently running on clients in china and esewhere.  It is minimally
>>intrusive to the inporting mechanism, at the cost of some string conversion
>>overhead (to utf8 and then back to unicode).
>

> As this can't be considered a bugfix (that I can see), I'd be against it being
> checked into 2.5.

Are you suggesting that Python's inability to correctly handle Unicode
path elements isn't a bug? Or simply that this inability isn't currently
described in a bug report on Sourceforge?

I agree it's a relatively large patch for a release candidate but if
prudence suggests deferring it, it should be a *definite* for 2.5.1 and
subsequent releases.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119