[Python-Dev] Unicode Imports

Anthony Baxter anthony at interlink.com.au
Fri Sep 8 10:58:28 CEST 2006

On Friday 08 September 2006 18:24, Steve Holden wrote:
> > As this can't be considered a bugfix (that I can see), I'd be against it
> > being checked into 2.5.
>
> Are you suggesting that Python's inability to correctly handle Unicode
> path elements isn't a bug? Or simply that this inability isn't currently
> described in a bug report on Sourceforge?

I'm suggesting that adding the ability to handle unicode paths is a *new*
*feature*.

If people actually want to see 2.5 final ever released, they're going to have
to accept that "oh, but just this _one_ _more_ _thing_" is not going to fly.

We're _well_ past beta1, where new features should have been added. At this
point, we have to cut another release candidate. This is far too much to add
during the release candidate stage.

> I agree it's a relatively large patch for a release candidate but if
> prudence suggests deferring it, it should be a *definite* for 2.5.1 and
> subsequent releases.

Possibly. I remain unconvinced.