[Python-Dev] Unicode Imports

Raymond Hettinger rhettinger at ewtllc.com
Fri Sep 8 21:00:50 CEST 2006

Giovanni Bajo wrote:

>+1, but I would love to see a more formal definition of what a "bugfix" is,
>which would reduce the ambiguous cases, and thus reduce the number of times the
>release managers are called to pronounce.

Sorry, that is just a pipe-dream. To some degree, all bug-fixes are new
features in that there is some behavioral difference, something will now
work that wouldn't work before. While some cases are clear-cut (such as
API changes), the ones that are interesting will defy definition and
need a human judgment call as to whether a given change will help more
than it hurts. The RMs are also strongly biased against extensive
patches than haven't had a chance to go through a beta-cycle -- they
don't want their releases mucked-up.

Raymond