[Python-Dev] Unicode Imports

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Sep 8 22:59:57 CEST 2006

Giovanni Bajo schrieb:
> +1, but I would love to see a more formal definition of what a "bugfix" is,
> which would reduce the ambiguous cases, and thus reduce the number of times the
> release managers are called to pronounce.
>
> Other projects, for instance, describe point releases as "open for regression
> fixes only", which means that a patch, to be eligible for a point release, must
> fix a regression (something which used to work before, and doesn't anymore).

In Python, the tradition has excepted bug fixes beyond that. For
example, fixing a memory leak would also count as a bug fix.

In general, I think a "bug" is a deviation from the specification (it
might be necessary to interpret the specification first to find out
whether the implementation deviates). A bug fix is then a behavior
change so that the new behavior follows the specification, or a
specification change so that it correctly describes the behavior.

Regards,
Martin