[Python-Dev] .pyc file has different result for value "1.79769313486232e+308" than .py file

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 00:29:44 CEST 2006

[Dino Viehland]
> FYI I've opened a bug against the VC++ team to fix their round tripping on floating
> point values (doesn't sound like it'll make the next release, but hopefully it'll make it
> someday).

Cool!  That would be helpful to many languages implemented in C/C++
relying on the platform {float, double}<->string library routines.

Note that the latest revision of the C standard ("C99") specifies
strings for infinities and NaNs that conforming implementations must
accept (for example, "inf").  It would be nice to accept those too,
for portability; "most" Python platforms already do.  In fact, this is
the primary reason people running on, e.g., Linux, resist upgrading to
Windows ;-)