[Python-Dev] Thank you all

Dan Eloff dan.eloff at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 23:14:46 CEST 2006

I was just browsing what's new in Python 2.5 at
http://docs.python.org/dev/whatsnew/

As I was reading I found myself thinking how almost every improvement
made a programming task I commonly bump into a little easier. Take the
with statement, or the new partition method for strings, or the
defaultdict (which I think was previously available, but I only now
realized what it does), or the unified try/except/finally, or the
conditional expression, etc

Then I remembered my reaction was much like that when python 2.4 was
released, and before that when Python 2.3 was released.

Every time a new version of python rolls around, my life gets a little easier.

I just want to say thank you, very much, from the bottom of my heart,
to everyone here who chooses to spend some of their free time working
on improving Python. Whether it be fixing bugs, writing documentation,
optimizing things, or adding new/updating modules or features, I want
you all to know I really appreciate your efforts. Your hard work has
long ago made Python into my favourite programming language, and the
gap only continues to grow. I think most people here and on
comp.lang.python feel the same way. It's just too often that people
(me) will find the 1% of things that aren't quite right and will focus
on that, rather than look at the 99% of things that are done very
well. So now, while I'm thinking about it, I want to take the
opportunity to say thank you for the 99% of Python that all of you
have done such a good job on.

-Dan