[Python-Dev] deja-vu .. python locking

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Tue Sep 19 06:42:47 CEST 2006

Martin Devera wrote:

> Regarding implementation, I wanted to look for some opinions before starting to
> implement something as big as this patch. Probably someone can look and say, hey
> it is stupit, you forgot that.... FILL_IN ... ;-)

If I understand correctly, your suggestion for avoiding
deadlock relies on the fact that a given thread can really
only have one object locked at a time, i.e. after you
LOCK an object you can only assume you own it until
you LOCK another object or return to some quiescent
state. Is this right?

If so, the question is whether it's sufficient to be
able to lock just one object at a time. Maybe it is,
but some more formal consideration of that might be
a good idea.

University of Canterbury,	   | Carpe post meridiem!          	  |
Christchurch, New Zealand	   | (I'm not a morning person.)          |