[Python-Dev] Dropping support for Win9x

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Aug 12 12:29:07 CEST 2007

I'd like to remove support for Windows 9x (95, 98(SE), ME)
soon from the Python trunk. This would primarily affect all
wide-string APIs (which would be considered present
unconditionally), as well as certain "new" Win32 functions;
in this cleanup, I would also drop support for NT+ before
Windows 2000 (i.e. NT 3.1, 3.5(1), 4.0).

I'm not sure whether w9xpopen should be left in place; Tim
suggested it should, however, I don't see why (something
with alternative command line interpreters IIRC).

The 2.5 installer already gives a warning on W9x that this
will be the last release.

If you object to this plan, please speak up.

Regards,
Martin