[Python-Dev] Dropping support for Win9x

Trent Mick trentm at activestate.com
Mon Aug 13 19:37:31 CEST 2007

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> I'd like to remove support for Windows 9x (95, 98(SE), ME)
> soon from the Python trunk. This would primarily affect all
> wide-string APIs (which would be considered present
> unconditionally), as well as certain "new" Win32 functions;
> in this cleanup, I would also drop support for NT+ before
> Windows 2000 (i.e. NT 3.1, 3.5(1), 4.0).
>
> I'm not sure whether w9xpopen should be left in place; Tim
> suggested it should, however, I don't see why (something
> with alternative command line interpreters IIRC).

I'm not entirely sure, but I think that w9xpopen gets used when it looks
like the shell (as per %ComSpec%) is command.com rather than cmd.exe. My
understanding is that a Win9x machine *upgraded* (rather than a clean
re-install) to Win2k or XP will retain command.com as the %ComSpec% setting.

If so, that *might* be sufficient reason to keep w9xpopen around. I
don't have a strong opinion though: I'm all for dropping win9x support
and would be happy with either a doc note that users need to ensure they
aren't using command.com, or a warning in the installer if this is detected.

Trent

--
Trent Mick
trentm at activestate.com