[Python-Dev] status of switch to Roundup off of SF

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Sun Feb 25 22:22:58 CET 2007

When I gave the PSF members an update on the work to move the
python-dev tracker over to Roundup Andrew Kuchling asked me to also
send an email to python-dev since October/November.

As of right now the biggest thing holding up the transition is
documentation.  A doc needs to get written explaining basic workflow
of how issues should be handled.  Also need to go through and remove
SF references and make them more general (e.g., mention an "issue
tracker" when possible).

After that some redirects need to be tweaked.  www.python.org/sf/
needs to redirect to the Roundup installation (which is keeping SF bug
numbers).  bugs.python.org will also be set to point to the Roundup
server.

After all of that we will find out from Anthony and Neal when a
release is going to be so as to do the switch when it won't run into a
release (before or after).

The current test tracker is at
http://psf.upfronthosting.co.za/roundup/tracker/ .  The meta tracker
for dealing with this stuff is at
http://psf.upfronthosting.co.za/roundup/meta/ .  Feel free to have a
look, but please don't go overboard with the suggestions on changes.
It is not difficult to change the tracker after it launches.  The last
thing any of us want to see is the tracker launch delayed because
someone wants a feature that takes a while to implement.  Unless there
is a critical issue you find it would be appreciated if you file the
suggestion and just let us push after the launch if it is deemed it
will take too much time to implement.

The mailing list where all discussions take place is
http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/tracker-discuss .  Fairly
low-traffic although all updates to the meta tracker get sent there.

Obviously if you have questions feel free to ask.  And if you want to
help with getting the switch to happen just speak up.  =)

-Brett