[Python-Dev] [Python-3000] Warning for 2.6 and greater

Sylvain Thénault sylvain.thenault at logilab.fr
Wed Jan 10 22:06:18 CET 2007

sorry this is actually more an answer to Raymond's email but I
accendidentally delete it some I'm replying there.

On Wednesday 10 January à 20:42, Thomas Wouters wrote:
> On 1/10/07, Raymond Hettinger <raymond.hettinger at verizon.net> wrote:
>
>     <"Anthony Baxter">
>     > Comments? What else should get warnings?
>
>     It is my strong preference that we not go down this path.
>     Instead, the 2.6 vs 3.0 difference analysis should go in an
>     external lint utility.
>
>     The Py2.x series may live-on for some time and should do so
>     as if Py3.x did not exist.  Burdening the 2.x code with loads
>     of warnings will only clutter the source code and make maintenance
>     more difficult.  There may also be some performance impact.
>
>     We should resolve that Py2.6 remain as clean as possible
>     and that Py3.0 be kept in its own world.  Forging a new
>     blade does not have to entail dulling the trusty old blade.

Just notice that pylint is already warning for some py3k deprecation
such as input(), <> and so on. It would be pretty easy to add warnings
for the missing stuff provided a complete list of changes.
Even better, pylint sorts its messages between various categories, and
it would be as easy to get a py3k migration category so users can launch
pylint to get only migration related messages (or filter them out as
well). IMO that could be acheive in a couple of hours without anymore
work involved.

Python et calcul scientifique:           http://www.logilab.fr/science