[Python-Dev] Backports of standard library modules

Collin Winter collinw at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 02:33:23 CET 2007

On 3/11/07, glyph at divmod.com <glyph at divmod.com> wrote:
> On 11 Mar, 10:32 pm, pmaupin at gmail.com wrote:
>
> >If this seems useful to others,  I could try to start a PEP on how the
> >process would work (but since I'm fairly new, it would be great if
> >someone could help out a bit by validating my verbiage against some of
> >the process requirements).
>
> Isn't this PEP 297?

I'd say it's almost a subset of PEP 297.

> This does raise an interesting question, though, since I'm about to get into
> PEP authorship myself.  Have I missed an official way to propose
> alternatives or resurrect a languishing PEP?  I'd like very much to propose
> to obsolete PEP 355 with twisted's FilePath object that I've previously
> discussed, but ... does that mean adding text to 355?  writing a new PEP and
> referencing it?

The introduction to PEP 342 would be a good starting point; it was
built on a number of prior PEPs.

> Above all, how can I help to motivate timely yea-or-nay decisions from the
> BDFL or "his chosen consultants"?  PEP 1 seems to defer all of these
> questions to emailing the PEP editor; is that really the best way to go?

>From my own experience, the best way is tight, focused discussion that
avoids or short-circuits interminable bikeshedding threads; see Ben
North's exemplary work on the (ultimately rejected) PEP on "dynamic
attribute access" syntax from February 2007
(http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2007-February/, search
for his name).

Collin Winter