[Python-Dev] Fwd: RFC - GoogleSOC proposal -cleanupurllib

Josiah Carlson jcarlson at uci.edu
Sat Mar 24 19:25:15 CET 2007

The original went through.  You likely didn't get any responses because
the proposal has text that is significantly longer than most other SoC
proposals, and perhaps people just haven't had the time to read it yet.
Also, I don't believe anyone else has posted the full text of their
proposal publicly, usually it is "I would like to do this kind of thing,
what do people think?".

If I were to summarize your proposal, it would be "merge, clean up, and
add features to urllib, urllib2, and urlparse".  Sounds reasonable for
Python 3, but remember that you will need to update any standard library
module that currently uses urllib, urllib2, and urlparse to make sure
that they pass the test suite, probably add tests to the test suite for
your new module, and include documentation (I can't remember if any of
that was in your proposal).

 - Josiah