[Python-Dev] New Super PEP

Christian Tanzer tanzer at swing.co.at
Wed May 2 12:00:16 CEST 2007

Giovanni Bajo <rasky at develer.com> wrote:

> On 29/04/2007 17.04, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> > Nearly always wrong? You must be kidding. There are tons of reasons to
> > call your super method with modified arguments. E.g. clipping,
> > transforming, ...
>
> Really?
> http://fuhm.net/super-harmful/

Hmmm.

I've just counted more than 1600 usages of `super` in my
sandbox. And all my tests pass.

How does that square with the title of the rant you quote:

    Python's Super is nifty, but you can't use it

?

Although the rest of `super-harmful` is slightly better than the
title, the premise of James Knight is utterly wrong:

    Note that the __init__ method is not special -- the same thing
    happens with any method

--
Christian Tanzer                                    http://www.c-tanzer.at/