[Python-Dev] Adventures with x64, VS7 and VS8 on Windows

Trent Mick trentm at activestate.com
Wed May 23 21:27:48 CEST 2007

[MarkH]
>> I'm guessing vsextcomp doesn't use the Visual
>> Studio 'ReleaseAMD64' configuration - would it be OK for me to check in
>> changes to the PCBuild projects for this configuration?

[Martin v. Löwis]
> Please don't. It exclusively relies on vsextcomp, and is only useful
> if you have that infrastructure installed. See for yourself: it uses
> the /USE_CL:MS_OPTERON command line switch, which isn't a Microsoft
> invention (but instead invented by Peter Tröger).

Aside: it isn't my experience that vsextcomp is necessary to
cross-compile for AMD64 and IA64. My cross-build process basically
equates to:

- Run the appropriate environment setup for the correct compiler. E.g.,
for the Platform SDK AMD64 compiler and with the current Platform SDK
this is:

   C:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform SDK\SetEnv.Cmd /X64 /RETAIL

- Run the solution file with "devenv.com" (IIRC, devenv.exe doesn't take
command-line args) and be sure to pass ing "/useenv" to pick up the
environment changes. (*)

   set DEVENV_COM=path/to/devenv.com
   %DEVENV_COM% PCbuild\pcbuild.sln /useenv /build ReleaseAMD64

(*) Note that for a cross-build the "make_versioninfo" and
"make_buildinfo" projects need to be built natively first:

   "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\Vc7\bin\vcvars32.bat"
   %DEVENV_COM% PCbuild\pcbuild.sln /useenv /build ReleaseAMD64 /project
make_versioninfo
   %DEVENV_COM% PCbuild\pcbuild.sln /useenv /build ReleaseAMD64 /project
make_buildinfo

This is all VS7.1, though. I don't yet know if VS8 throws a spanner into
the works. For VS6 I use "msdev" instead of "devenv.com" and
"PC\VC6\pcbuild.dsw" instead of "PCbuild\pcbuild.sln".

I haven't looked into what vsextcomp does, so apologies if this is ignorant.

Trent

--
Trent Mick
trentm at activestate.com