[Python-Dev] Adventures with x64, VS7 and VS8 on Windows

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu May 24 00:48:49 CEST 2007

> - Run the appropriate environment setup for the correct compiler. E.g.,
> for the Platform SDK AMD64 compiler and with the current Platform SDK
> this is:
>
>    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform SDK\SetEnv.Cmd /X64 /RETAIL
>
> - Run the solution file with "devenv.com" (IIRC, devenv.exe doesn't take
> command-line args) and be sure to pass ing "/useenv" to pick up the
> environment changes. (*)
>
>    set DEVENV_COM=path/to/devenv.com
>    %DEVENV_COM% PCbuild\pcbuild.sln /useenv /build ReleaseAMD64

Yes, that should work equally fine.

> I haven't looked into what vsextcomp does, so apologies if this is ignorant.

It spares you having to setup the environment; it provides a cl.exe
wrapper that locates the SDK from the registry, and then invokes
the cl.exe in the SDK if necessary. As a consequence, you can still
just double-click the solution file, without having to run
devenv.exe/com manually.

Regards,
Martin