[Python-Dev] whitespace normalization pre-commit hook is giving me grief

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Sat May 26 02:06:54 CEST 2007

In my bcannon-objcap branch I am trying to check in a change that involves a
soft symlink from Lib/controlled_importlib.py to
../importlib/controlled_importlib.py through ``ln -s
../controlled_importlib.py controlled_importlib.py`` while in the Lib
directory.  I have done this before in this branch so as to allow for easy
importing of code from the svn import of importlib that the branch contains.

But svn keeps rejecting the commit saying that Lib/controlled_importlib.py
needs to be whitespace normalized.  I have run reindent on both the external
import in the branch and in the original sandbox copy and both are coming
back clean.  I even imported reindent manually and followed what Georg
posted when the pre-commit hook was added and it still passes.
Unfortunately the pre-commit hook does not specify what line a change was
made on so I have no clue where it is failing (maybe this should be added?).

Can somebody help me figure out what the hell is going on?  I am waiting to
find out it is something small and stupid, but at this point I am not seeing
a solution to this.

-Brett