[Python-Dev] MacOSX -framework options and distutils weirdness

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Tue Oct 9 13:21:05 CEST 2007

On Tuesday, October 09, 2007, at 12:29PM, "Greg Ewing" <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
>A while back I wrote about a problem I was having with
>the ordering of -framework options in distutils compilation
>commands. Well, now I've discovered something even stranger.
>
>When distutils executes the following link command, I get
>a bunch of undefined OpenGL-related symbols. But if I
>copy and paste *exactly the same command* into the shell,
>it succeeds!
>
>What could possibly be going on here?

My guess is MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET: this is set in the environment by distutils.

>gcc -Wl,-F. -bundle -framework Python
>build/temp.darwin-8.4.0-Power_Macintosh-2.3/_soya.o
>build/temp.darwin-8.4.0-Power_Macintosh-2.3/matrix.o
>build/temp.darwin-8.4.0-Power_Macintosh-2.3/chunk.o -L/usr/lib -L/usr/local/lib
>-L/usr/X11R6/lib -lm -lGLEW -lfreetype -lcal3d -lstdc++ -lode -o
>build/lib.darwin-8.4.0-Power_Macintosh-2.3/soya/_soya.so -framework OpenGL
>-framework SDL -framework OpenAL
>
>This is on MacOSX 10.4 with Python 2.3.

Is that the system supplied version of Python?  Distutils sets MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET to 10.4 in that case, for home-build binaries the variable is set to whatever the value was at configure time, defaulting to 10.3.

Ronald