[Python-Dev] string representation of range in 3.0

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Apr 17 04:49:02 CEST 2008

"Guido van Rossum" <guido at python.org> wrote in message
news:ca471dc20804161420o5e51978csdf99d2427f328c5b at mail.gmail.com...
| Why only str()? Note that the interactive prompt uses repr() to display
values.

I was under the impression that for range, you still wanted to maintain the
distinction between an evalable and a friendly representation.  If not,
then ok, but I would then almost wonder whether to have both functions --
until I remember the reason for two versions of string representation and
your proposal (which I approve of) for both a full and abbreviated rep for
classes.