[Python-Dev] Why does httplib import from test_support?

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Mon Aug 18 13:08:40 CEST 2008

Is this new as of the last couple of days?

    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/Users/skip/tmp/py/mmfold.py", line 182, in <module>
        sys.exit(main())
      File "/Users/skip/tmp/py/mmfold.py", line 95, in main
        for line in urllib.urlopen(url+"?adminpw=%s" % passwd):
      File "/Users/skip/local/lib/python2.6/urllib.py", line 87, in urlopen
        return opener.open(url)
      File "/Users/skip/local/lib/python2.6/urllib.py", line 203, in open
        return getattr(self, name)(url)
      File "/Users/skip/local/lib/python2.6/urllib.py", line 285, in open_http
        import httplib
      File "/Users/skip/local/lib/python2.6/httplib.py", line 72, in <module>
        from test.test_support import catch_warning
    ImportError: No module named test_support

The import statement seems to work from an interactive shell (I have a
module named test in the same directory as the main prog, hence the
problem), but even if it does work should we be importing stuff from the
test package in non-test code?

Skip