[Python-Dev] Why does httplib import from test_support?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 13:35:25 CEST 2008

skip at pobox.com wrote:
> The import statement seems to work from an interactive shell (I have a
> module named test in the same directory as the main prog, hence the
> problem), but even if it does work should we be importing stuff from the
> test package in non-test code?

I saw those checkins go by on the checkins list - they have to do with
silencing -3 warnings for modules that the stdlib still uses in Python
2.6 for backwards compatibility reasons (but switching to the relevant
new approaches in 3.0, thus making the warnings a false alarm).

test.test_support.catch_warning is a convenient way to suppress a
warning for a small piece of code and then revert the state of the
warnings module back to the way it was afterwards.

Those imports should probably be guarded with sys.py3kwarn though, with
a standard import being used if the command line flag isn't set.

Cheers,
Nick.