[Python-Dev] [Pydotorg] Should we help pythonmac.org?

Bill Janssen janssen at parc.com
Tue Aug 19 03:18:25 CEST 2008

> I strongly recommend that we *NOT* make macports.org the main,
> official Mac OS X version of Python. Secondary is fine, but not
> primary. Macports is what the name says: it's a system of Mac ports of
> Linux packages, mostly command-line only.

I agree with David about this.

> The official Mac Python should be an OS X application, with an icon,
> living in /Applications, ideally with a Mac-standard editor app  (the
> 2.5.1 I have has IDLE), etc.

No, probably not.  Frankly, I think the official Mac Python should be
(and is) /usr/bin/python, the version that Apple ships with the
system.  I always try to make my stuff work with that Python, instead
of installing a different version, which in my experience usually
leads to grief somewhere down the road.

Bill