[Python-Dev] [Python-3000] Beta 3 planned for this Wednesday

Benjamin Peterson musiccomposition at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 15:02:40 CEST 2008

On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 10:29 PM, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I am going to try to release the last planned beta of 2.6 and 3.0 this
> Wednesday.  Looking at the stable buildbots and showstopper bugs indicates
> some work to do between now and then.  Here are the showstoppers, along with
> my recommendations.
>
> 1878    class attribute cache failure (regression)
> - - Medium priority
> - - Guido, there are some design choices that need your decision.  I'd like to
>  fix this for beta 3 if it's going to be fixed at all, because I suspect the
>  changes will be too disruptive once we reach release candidates.
>
> 2394    [Py3k] Finish the memoryview object implementation
> - - High priority
> - - This one is serious enough to hold up the release.  I really do not think we
>  should be finishing this implementation in the rc phase.

How finished is finished? I see Antoine has implemented a little more of it.

> 1179    [CVE-2007-4965] Integer overflow in imageop module
> - - High priority
> - - This will block final release and I think it needs to be fixed for this beta.

I've never used imageop, but I'll see if I can review the patch.

> 3131    2to3 can't find fixes_dir
> - - Medium priority
> - - I'm willing to defer this to the release candidates, but it will definitely
>  block the release candidates.

This is pretty simple. There are patches that can be applied, but I
think 2to3 requires a little refactoring. I suppose that can be done
after the beta, though.

> 3402    test_nis is hanging on Solaris
> - - Medium priority
> - - I suggest disabling this test and adding a note to the release notes.  If
>  nobody comes forward to fix it for the final release, tough.
>
> 3352    Deficiencies in multiprocessing/threading API
> - - Medium priority
> - - This one is getting some love, so I'm confident this will get fixed before
>  beta 3.

Jesse said he could have it done today.

> As for the buildbots, they're not looking so good.  It looks like the trunk
> has various failures in multiprocessing (hopefully fixed soon) and bsddb3.
> Also some crashes in test_anydbm.  Hmm.
>
> 3.0 is looking better but there's a weird error in test_sys and
> test_threading.
>
> - -Barry

Cheers,
Benjamin Peterson