[Python-Dev] PEP 8 conformance of unittest

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Mon Jul 14 00:35:30 CEST 2008

Ben Finney wrote:
> "Guido van Rossum" <guido at python.org> writes:
>

>> Same here; let's tread carefully here and not change this with 3.0.
>> Starting to deprecate in 3.1 and killing in 3.3 would be soon enough.
>> I like using only the assertKeyword variants, removing assert_, fail*,
>> and assertEquals.
>>

> Are we to interpret the above ("… using only the assertKeyword
> variants, removing assert_, …") as "we should actively remove names
> that are PEP 8 compatible from 'unittest', instead preferring names
> that go against PEP 8?
>
> I really hope I'm misinterpreting this and that there's another
> explanation. Preferably one that includes "we have a plan to make
> 'unittest' conform with the existing PEP 8".

"we have a plan to make 'unittest' conform with the existing PEP 8" -
that was the outcome of the discussion. PEP 8'ification to begin in 2.7
/ 3.1 with the deprecation of non-PEP8 compliant method names.

There was some added functionality discussed, but it is too late to get
this into 2.6 / 3.0.

I volunteered to take it on, and have a record of the whole discussion.
Unfortunately my writing commitment is going to keep me occupied until
August - after which it will be one of my highest priorities.

Michael Foord

--
http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/