[Python-Dev] PEP: Consolidating names and classes in the `unittest` module (updated 2008-07-15)

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Wed Jul 16 15:54:26 CEST 2008

Rodrigo Bernardo Pimentel <rbp at isnomore.net> writes:

> On Tue, Jul 15 2008 at 07:38:59PM BRT, Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> > The "consistency" argument leads to the PEP 8 names. The removal
> > of redundant names is not made in the name of consistency, but of
> > API simplicity.
>
> Isn't this *enourmous* discussion a clear sign that a lot of people
> *won't* find a trimmed-down API simpler?

The majority of this discussion hasn't been about whether or not to
trim the API, so I'd have to answer no. Instead, it shows that people
have different ideas of how it should be done.

> If assert* to fail* mapping is consistent, then voilá, simple,
> everyone can remember method names (+1 for PEP-8 renaming), everyone
> is free to think of each test as they please.

Thanks for the feedback.

--
 \          “Pity the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.” —Donald |
  `\                                              Robert Perry Marquis |