[Python-Dev] light-weight testing

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Thu Jul 17 11:10:33 CEST 2008

Steven D'Aprano <steve <at> pearwood.info> writes:

> I am interested in this suggestion. I didn't know about py.test.
>
> I admit to dissatisfaction with unittest (too Java-ish and heavyweight
> for my tastes). I would love a test suite midway in weight between
> doctests and unittest, so I will check it out.

For what it's worth, I've been using nose for quite a long time and the first
reason I did so is, like you, because I wanted to write tests in a light way
(without having to declare classes).

Then after writing some dozens of tests I switched back to wrapping tests in
classes, just because it makes tests more readable and better organized
(especially when you come to have setup/teardown functions shared by several
tests).

(but nose is still very nice)