[Python-Dev] [Python-3000] No beta2 tonight

A.M. Kuchling amk at amk.ca
Fri Jul 18 20:32:15 CEST 2008

yOn Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 10:45:06AM -0700, Josiah Carlson wrote:
>> It's entirely possible that I know very little about what was being
> made available via the bsddb module, but to match the API of what is
> included in the documentation (plus the dictionary interface that it
> supports) shouldn't be terribly difficult.

It would pose a problem for the external maintainer if Python came
with a bsddb module or package; the external package would also want
to provide a 'bsddb' package containing the 'bsddb.db' subpackage.
This would be a replay of the 'xml'/PyXML situation, and lots of
people think that was a big mistake in the first place.  If we do want
to let bsddb go, we should just let the new external package own the
package name.

We can obviously drop the module for 3.0.  For 2.x, should we just
shrug and disable most of the BerkeleyDB tests (maybe just on Windows)
by adding a new resource to enable them?  If we're stuck with it for
the remaining 2.x, at least we can stop the buildbots from going red
for bugs that we can't debug and probably won't fix.

--amk