[Python-Dev] git repositories for trunk and py3k

A.M. Kuchling amk at amk.ca
Fri Jul 18 20:42:06 CEST 2008

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 11:12:41AM -0700, Brett Cannon wrote:
> And those two periods are significant for people who think they are
> line noise. Damn is Git quirky.

Oh my, yes.  We use git at work; there's a reason I now use Bazaar for
personal projects.

> I assume the ^ operator means "just before this commit".

Correct; HEAD^^ is two commits ago, and you can do HEAD~35 for 35
commits ago.  There's a git-rev-parse man page describing these.

> Does the abbreviation have to be exactly six characters?

No, it has to be long enough to be unambiguous.  6cadb9c1b7 would also
work, and 6cadb might, depending on the other commits in your
repository.

> I tried that, but but format-patch didn't show me anything since I had
> just committed. And when I run ``git format-patch HEAD^`` it spits out
> what looks like a file name, but I don't see it anywhere.

I think it writes the file to the current working directory, so I
don't know why you're not seeing it.  (The file is something like
0001-<commit-message>.patch.)

--amk