[Python-Dev] git repositories for trunk and py3k

Neil Schemenauer nas at arctrix.com
Fri Jul 18 20:57:42 CEST 2008

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 11:12:41AM -0700, Brett Cannon wrote:
> >    git log git-svn..
>
> And those two periods are significant for people who think they are
> line noise. Damn is Git quirky.

I guess it would have been clearer if I had used "git-svn..HEAD".
The ".." is similar to SVN's ":" so I don't see that as much of a
quirk.  However, if you look at the git-rev-parse man page you will
see that git supports a very rich set of revision specifications and
that can be overwhelming to a new user.  You can probably mostly get
by with "<rev>" and "<rev1>..<rev2>" combined with ^.

> Sure, but I don't know what the heck I am looking at.

The top left window shows a DAG of the commits.  Each commit is a
little ball.  Parents are connected with a colored line.  Tags and
heads are shown as labels on specific commits.  You can click on any
commit to see the details (shown in the lower panels).

> I assume the ^ operator means "just before this commit".

Yes and you can use it more than once (e.g. ^^^).  This is all
documented in the git-rev-parse man page.

> Does the abbreviation have to be exactly six characters?

No.

> I tried that, but but format-patch didn't show me anything since I had
> just committed. And when I run ``git format-patch HEAD^`` it spits out
> what looks like a file name, but I don't see it anywhere.

By default it creates a file for each commit, prefixed by 0001,
0002, etc.  Use "git format-patch --stdout" to have it spit the
patches out as a mbox to stdout.