[Python-Dev] critical issues for 2.6 and 3.0

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Thu Jul 31 04:51:38 CEST 2008

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 7:31 PM, Benjamin Peterson
<musiccomposition at gmail.com> wrote:
> I just went through the disturbingly long list of 67 open issues with
> a "critical" priority pinging and trying to get things moving. There
> are ~55 now; I was able to close some, but others I promoted to
> release blocker for beta 3. Shouldn't all criticals be resolved by the
> final?

Probably, but at that point they will be promoated to release blocker
as necessary.

> I've never been through a Python release before, but I find these
> statistics rather worrying if we want to make the October release
> date.

If we don't make the release, then we don't make it. Plus this is one
of the more complicated releases that I have been through thanks to
the release of two simultaneous major revisions, so having a lot to do
is not a shock. But people tend to step up work when a beta release is
coming so when we get closer to b3 more work will probably land.

Another thing to keep in mind beyond the open issues is the code in
2.6 that is not 3.0 compatible when Python is run with -3. I just
finished running regrtest with -3 and have a text file listing all of
the code that has some warning thanks to -3. I will try to open an
issue with those files listed as some point soon, but I will hopefully
be able to plow through them rather quickly since most of them are
minor like dict.has_key(), etc.

-Brett