[Python-Dev] Status of Issue 2331 - Backport parameter annotations

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Fri Jun 20 01:16:12 CEST 2008

On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 3:59 PM, David Pokorny <dbpokorny at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am curious if there is any news on this issue. My understanding is
> that since this is a new feature, nothing will be committed until
> after 2.6 comes out, but it would be *really nice* if I could use
> annotations in 2.x.
>
> [warning - mini rant]
> Reason is, I am using 3.0a for now for this project, but I am sorry to
> say that using parentheses for raising exceptions drives me up the
> wall, and I don't like using them for the former print statement
> either. I suspect this is partly due to the fact that I'm using 2.5
> for work, so I don't have the option to mentally "switch over" to the
> Python 3 way.
> /rant
>
> Does anyone have an annotations patch floating around against the
> trunk / 2.6b, or failing that, does anyone have opinions on what my
> chances are / things to look out for if I fiddle around with the
> annotations patch from the py3k branch? (My understanding is that this
> is revision 53170).

I give this approximately 0% chance of happening. It's a really
complex change to the syntax and code generator. Your motivation is
also suspect: 2.6 is supposed to be a stepping stone towards 3.0, not
a safe haven for people who don't like certain 3.0 features. Just get
used to print(). Parentheses for exceptions has been allowed since
approximately Python 2.0, so you have even less of an excuse there.