[Python-Dev] How we can get rid of eggs for 2.6 and beyond

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Tue Mar 25 06:16:18 CET 2008

In article
<d0f9566a-1727-4903-bfc5-92fb444bc60c at b1g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,
 ajaksu <ajaksu at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...] While Linux and OS X both view Python as essentially a first-class
> development platform-i.e., as something that shrink-wrap applications
> can be built on-Windows does not. Instead, it's generally expected
> that a Python-based Windows application be "frozen": bundled into a
> self-contained package that includes a copy of the Python interpreter
> and whatever libraries it uses, which are private to the particular
> application. While this ensures that the application will function as
> expected and not run into 'dependency hell', it also results in a
> relatively large download-distributing a simple 'Hello World' program
> is at least a megabyte in size, and makes extending the program's
> functionality more difficult."

While it is true that OS X does provide a built-in Python that can be
used as a shared component for shrink-wrap applications, it should be
noted that py2app, the de facto standard tool for packaging Python apps
on OS X, by default includes a private copy of the Python interpreter
and library within the application bundle for similar reasons, i.e.
avoiding "dependency hell".  py2app does, however, go to some trouble to
analyze dependencies and include only a minimal set of required packages.

<http://svn.pythonmac.org/py2app/py2app/trunk/doc/index.html#id35>

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org