[Python-Dev] Decimal(unicode)

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 08:46:47 CET 2008

Greg Ewing wrote:
> Georg Brandl wrote:
>
>> As Nick said, a drop-in replacement in C isn't feasible
>
> Yes, but that appears to be so only because of some
> unfortunate features of the Python version's API.
>
> Seems to me it would be better to undergo a little
> pain now and get a well-designed C-friendly API.

What features do you find particularly unfortunate? Just because
something isn't particularly amenable to implementation in C, doesn't
make it a bad API for a Python library (e.g. the dicts to enable/signal
the different error traps are a natural interface for Python code, even
though C code would be inclined to use a bit field for the same thing).

Cheers,
Nick.