[Python-Dev] FreeBSD test suite failure -> curses

Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven asmodai at in-nomine.org
Fri Mar 28 10:52:58 CET 2008

-On [20080309 23:59], "Martin v. Löwis" (martin at v.loewis.de) wrote:
>So this now *is* a FreeBSD/ncurses expert's question.

Actually, given my recent results and discussion with Thomas Dickey I am not
so sure.

Some basic debugging I did with Georg Brandl led to this:

comment the requires('curses') line in test_curses.py.

Then start python in the build root with ./pyton; from the interactive
prompt I do import curses and import test.test_curses and python
subsequently coredumps after some screen manipulation. Setting an awatch
with gdb on newscr shows that at one point it gets set to 0.

When I put import curses and import test.test_curses in a file and
subsequently execute this with ./python the test passes without any
problems.

Thomas mentioned after seeing an ltrace:

Perhaps it's failing on that:

        curses.setupterm(fd=sys.__stdout__.fileno())

That would have newscr null. The failure might be from closing stdout, e.g.,
if it was redirected.

イェルーン ラウフロック ヴァン デル ウェルヴェン
http://www.in-nomine.org/ | http://www.rangaku.org/
We've laid together in the sun before the mind-rape has begun...